Thursday, June 2, 2011

Guest Interview - Ella Jade



Welcome special guest Ella Jade!

How did you start your writing career?

I've been writing for as long as I can remember. In high school, I used to write short romance stories for my friends, and back then, it was all long hand, so they used to fight over who was taking home the notebook over the weekend I've been writing short stories for myself for years, but I never had the courage to do anything with them. It wasn't until I recently started writing for a Fan Fiction website (spinning tales of a popular vampire series) did I find the courage to begin submitting my manuscripts to publishers.

Tell us about your current release.

Jocelyn's Choice releases this coming Monday. It's a Young Adult Romance that deals with all the firsts that come with new love. I had such a fun time writing this because in capturing the innocence I needed for Jocelyn, I felt like I was reliving all those high school moments; the first kiss, the first fight, the first time…
It was a sweet journey, but it isn't all roses and tulips. Jocelyn quickly learns there are consequences to her actions and young love can sometimes be complicated. But, I always deliver the HEA!

Who is your favorite author?

I have so many, but throughout the years no matter how many books I read, I always come back to Nora Roberts, Stephen King and Anne Rice.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

I usually write at night when the kids are asleep. I take my laptop, crawl into the guest bed and try to write for two hours, but it always ends up being more like four. I also keep the laptop open on the kitchen table throughout the day and if an idea pops into my head, I quickly type it.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?

Believe it or not, it's the steamy scenes. I know that's ironic for an aspiring erotic fiction author. I never have trouble spinning the plot or coming up with dialogue, but I always end up saving the heat after I write the chapter. It seems to work, so I just go with it.


Does your significant other read your stuff?

No! I think his eyeballs would pop out of his head! He'd want to know where I learned about certain subject matter. lol

What do you think makes a good story?

I'm a dialogue girl. When I read a story, I want the conversations to sound realistic and the characters should be believable. I'm reading because I want to get lost in the story. If I remember the characters long after I close the book that was a good story for me.

Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?

Yes, I do use a pen name. I have two boys, Jake and Cole, but if I had a girl, I wanted to name her Ella. I got impatient, so I borrowed the name. For some reason (even I don't know why), I've always called my son Jake, Jade. So, I just put the names together and came up with Ella Jade. I think it works.

What books have most influenced your life?

I would have to say the Twilight series. Had it not been for those books and my obsession of those characters, I never would've stumbled on that Fan Fiction website. It was a wonderful place for me to start. It was almost like a writer's workshop. I met lots of great people, found beta readers, pre-readers and people willing to help me improve upon my original work. It was also the perfect place to learn how to take criticism and become a better writer.


What would we find under your bed?

Nothing! Ever since we installed hardwood floors in the bedroom I've been very diligent about keeping it neat and clean. So, other than the occasional dust ball, you shouldn't find anything under there.


Jocelyn's Choice Blurb

Jocelyn Andrews, a shy, awkward, high school senior, has never even been on a date until she meets Alex Jordon, the older, more experienced brother of her best friend Evan. Jocelyn falls hard for the charming player and wants to explore all of the “firsts” that go along with young love. Alex has no problem showing her what she’s been missing.
Alex is captivated by young, innocent Jocelyn and to his own surprise, only has eyes for her. One night of careless passion leads to a life-altering dilemma. Alex must head back to Yale to finish an internship, having no idea what he’s left behind. Jocelyn must decide what to do on her own, forcing her to grow up much faster than she anticipated.
Reality sets in, decisions are made and Jocelyn has to live with her choices. Alex returns home to more than he ever bargained for. Young love has never been more complicated as they deal with a teen pregnancy, social barriers, and concerned family members. Life sometimes throws a curve ball, but the unexpected isn’t always bad.

Excerpt

I sat on the tiny bathroom floor and debated whether I should reach up to the counter and check the stick I had just peed on. It had been over five minutes, more than enough time to get the results I was dreading. I’d thrown up twice since starting the test, but I was getting used to that. I had been throwing up for over two weeks now. At first, I thought it was just the stress I felt over him leaving. It wasn’t until after he went back to Yale that I realized I was more than three weeks late.
Three weeks and two days to be exact. I didn’t have to look at that test to know what it was going to tell me, because I already knew. My stomach did another flip just thinking about it. The July heat wasn’t helping, either. I hovered over the toilet and emptied whatever was left in my system, which wasn’t much. I stood up and rinsed my mouth out, glancing over at the pregnancy test. My hands trembled as I slowly picked it up. I forced myself to look at it. I needed the confirmation.
Two pink lines . . . no shock there. I even knew exactly when it happened. What day of the week it was, and where we were. But, how did I let this happen? I knew the answer to that too.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Ella! This story sounds good. And I've been searching the internet for ePublishers that publish YA romance. They're very hard to find, ugh!

    It's so nice to meet you. I think I'm a dialogue girl too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy learning about authors I'm not familiar with. Thank you! I enjoyed this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your character has such a clear voice in my head. I love hearing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I've been trying to comment all day, but blogger was being, well, blogger!

    You can all follow me at... ellajadeauthor.blogspot.com for all the details on Jocelyn's Choice. I look forward to meeting you all!

    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed learning about a new author! Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. Ella Jade- Anxiously aWaiting for my copy of your 1st to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview, I'm looking forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete