Thursday, May 31, 2012

Overused Words


I’m reading a The Writer’s Workout by Christina Katz. She offered a piece of advice I found interesting and kinda fun. Substitute overused words. Here’s the example when you want to write “very” change it to “damn”. Just think about how much fun you can have. I know I use really, very and other words a lot. If I were to change them to damn, crap or even vagina it would certainly make for an interesting read. Obviously I’d only do that during the first draft and edit them out on the second.
It’s a great way to get rid of words you overuse or to re-train your brain to use something different.
In other news I’m busy typing away at the first draft of my WIP. I hit the 20k mark this morning. I have about 12k to go before the first draft is done. I need to get it finished because edits are coming soon for Dragons and that will be an intense few weeks.
I have all these ideas floating around in my head and not enough time in the day to write. I’m enjoying the nice weather today.
Happy Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. Actually this is super funny and a great exercise! Would make a hilarious read if you left it that way. What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read that book. I know I use a lot of words over and over again. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete