Friday, July 3, 2009

On Vacation


I’ve been on vacation. The DH and I take the same week every year. For him it has special meaning, his birthday. He doesn’t just celebrate one day, he celebrates all week. Mind you I reduced that from the birthday month.
Oddly enough, even before I met him I took this week for vacation.
As my vacation neared I dreamed about lazy days in the pool. Trips to the beach where I could spend hours watching the waves crash into the shore. HA! Was I the fool?
What I didn’t picture was me running around doing errands I normally do. Or waking up bright and early to bring my daughter to the neurologist, who I might add, insisted we arrive early, only to wait for her. She arrived 15 minutes after our scheduled appt. I haven’t swum in the pool. I haven’t made one trip to the beach – thanks to all the lovely rain we’ve been having.
I did manage to celebrate the DH’s birthday without the rain and we had another rain-free cookout Tuesday. Don’t get me wrong. I love my children, grandchild and in-laws, but my vacation was supposed to be about what I wanted to do to! Instead it’s been all about the DH.
So after we went to the movies last night (I’m not a movie theater person. DH would go every night if I allowed it) I finally told him enough. For the next three days it’s going to be about ME. No, I don’t think I’m being selfish and if I am so what! They’re calling for lots of sun. (I’ll believe it when I see it). I intend to arm myself with books and head to the beach, where I can stick my toes in the sand, breathe in the smell of fish and salt water and relax. No internet, no phones and no child whining because she’s bored.
BTW, we saw Public Enemies. The movie was good, but I feel they dragged it out too long. Not that I can’t look at Johnny Depp all night long, it’s just…they could have reduced the film by at least twenty minutes. Just my .02.
Hopefully I’ll have something fun to blog about after the weekend. Have a safe and happy 4th everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to the DH and happy celebrating to you. Any excuse, I say.

    Haven't seen Public Enemies yet, however Johnny Depp makes for good incentive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Johnny Depp makes excellent incentive.

    Enjoy your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! A little selfishness is sometimes a necessity for survival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the birthday wish, Kelly.

    Thanks, Mia. I will enjoy whats left of this vacation.

    You are sooooooooooooooooooo right, Cindy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the beach. That sounds perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete