Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Look Alike Day

A guy at work sends out an email daily giving us the theme of the day. Yesterday was look alike day.
They say that everyone has a double somewhere in the world. I found this to be true about a friend of mine. During high school I hung out with this girl Darcy. Just out of high school we went our separate ways. She married and had children I was exploring the college years.
One day I was in the market and saw “Darcy” in the checkout line. I walked up to her and excitedly said. “Hey Darc. How the hell are you?”
She looked at me with a strange look and said. “I’m not Darcy.”
Stupid me argued. “Yes, you are.”
She takes a step back. Probably afraid of what I might do next.
I’m standing there confused. “You’re really not Darcy?”
She shakes her head. “No.”
“Sorry,” I say dumbfounded and walk away.
The rest of the day this episode sticks in my mind. I couldn’t help but think that Darcy was rejecting me or something. Why was she embarrassed to acknowledge me?
A few years later the same women moved across the street from me. Lucky for me she didn’t recognize me as the crazy person who insisted she was someone she wasn’t. Turns out “Darcy”, was really named Lisa. Her and I became good friends.
I can laugh about it now.
Another time someone came up to me at work and said, “Hey I saw you on the bus a few minutes ago. Why’d you ignore me when I said hi?”
I looked at him and said…”I wasn’t on the bus. I drove my car to work today.”
He walked away confused and probably thinking the same thing I had the day I mistaken one friend for someone else.
So folks I truly believe everyone has a double out there somewhere! :o)

5 comments:

  1. How interesting! I've never run across my double but I've run across people who could be the long-lost identical twin of someone I know. You've given me fodder for a story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard the double thing before too, Amber. One time (a long time ago) a friend of mine thougth someone else was me. She was even driving the same type of car. Very eery! Of course, neither of us ever came upon that person again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have heard of this look alike double before. I've been told I look like other people too. But I don't see it. There is a TV show on that finds people who look like stars and then they do a make over on them. Sometimes the resemblance is remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It'd be weird if you happened upon your look alike, Helen.

    Yes, I've seen commercials for the show Kaye. I haven't seen the actual show though.

    ReplyDelete