Thursday, April 11, 2013

Interview with Viki Lyn




Thank you Amber for having me as a guest today!

How did you start your writing career? I began writing when I owned an art gallery and didn’t have time to create my mixed media artwork. Writing was a creative outlet and I fell in love with telling stories. When I look back at my childhood, I always created stories in my mind but never wrote them down. So I guess writing wasn’t such a far stretch, but I had a lot to learn! In 2006, I published my first romance set in 1968 and several romance books later I switched to writing m/m romances. I just published by 12th m/m romance this last year.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why? I’ve always been lucky to have traveled extensively and been to some incredible places. This May, I’m going to Japan, a country I’ve wanted to visit for some time now. I was a gallery assistant for a paper artist in San Diego for several years and fell in love with Japanese papers. I also like to watch Japanese anime and read yaoi (Japanese Boys’ Love comics – confession, I have over 300+ volumes!) and I love Japanese landscape design, aesthetics and art. So, I’m jazzed about the trip. We want to put in a Japanese garden in our atrium so I’ll be taking lots of pics.

Does travel play in the writing of your books? Yes, quite a bit. One of my vampire series (Chances) has Prague as a setting and in the third book my characters find themselves in Egypt (I also have an Egyptian scene in Sins of Lust). I was able to travel to Egypt three years ago. The temples and pyramids were awe-inspiring, and so incredible to see in person vs. the pictures in my art history book. I went to Eastern Europe two years ago and set my novella, Lover’s Trill, in Vienna.

Tell us about your current release. I have two current releases. My first book with Ellora’s Cave, Sins of Lust, is a paranormal m/m romance. It’s about archangels and the Protectors (fallen angels) that kill for them. I love Uri-el and Razi-el (Izar) – two lovers torn apart because one of them commits a sin and must be punished. Razi becomes Izar, a Protector, and loses his memories including his beloved Uri-el. But in the end, love conquers all. It’s very romantic and erotic and one of my hottest books. 
The other release is a novella published by Musa Publishing. Perceived Love is about second chances. A psychic must convince a scientist that his life is in danger.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day? I usually write in the morning or afternoon, and rarely at night. I don’t have a set schedule, zipping between my writing room and my art studio! I usually get waylaid by friends calling to meet them for coffee. I love to socialize and family and friends comes first in my life. I usually write three books a year, but this year I’ve taken a break from having the need to get something published. I’m writing for fun and because I want to, and trying out other genres.

Where do you research for your books? I research mostly on the Internet these days, rarely going to the library. I also use my old travel books, city maps, and have a paranormal library at home. I’ve taken Tarot classes and other New Age philosophical classes as well, which seeps into my paranormals.

Does your significant other read your stuff? No! He read my first book but he didn’t enjoy the romantic conflict between the characters. Made him too nervous and reminded him too much of his first marriage! LOL. But, he’s my biggest fan. He even went to our well-lighted adult bookstore when I had to purchase gay sex manuals for research.

Do you have critique partners or beta readers? I have a critique partner that I meet with once a week. We’re going on more than six years now. She writes a completely different genre (sweet Regency and YA). We understand each other’s voices and we help each other improve our writing techniques, deepen our characters, plotting and pacing and sometimes teach writing classes together. I also have a good friend who’s an avid reader and helps me with plotting and editing. Sometimes I even get my sister’s involved with the plotting of my stories. No one is safe from me!

What was the scariest moment of your life? I was in a very serious car accident where my good friend almost died. Unfortunately, she didn’t come out of it unscathed and has permanent damage. That was a horrible moment that I hope to never experience again.

What songs are most played on your Ipod? Come Undone, Beautiful Liar, Hey, Soul Sister, Take the Long Way Home, The Pretender, Collide, We Are Young, Us and Them... I have a musical hodgepodge on my iPod.



Thou shall not kill.
For archangel Razi-el, he had no choice. He would break God’s commandment again if it were to save Uri-el from a demon’s talons. Yet even God’s most trusted archangel cannot avoid punishment. No longer Razi-el, he is now Izar, a Protector sworn to kill for the angels.
When a Protector kills an angel, Izar is summoned to work alongside Uri-el to capture the killer. Izar is shocked when his bloodlust spikes hot for the archangel. He knows better than to go after forbidden fruit. Refusing to give in to temptation, he ignores his body’s tempestuous arousal for Uri-el until a heated argument turns his blood into molten lust.
As they rush to find the killer, their passion plays into the demon’s plan. Izar will have to make a choice between life and death if he is to save Uri-el again.
Excerpt and buy link: http://www.ellorascave.com/sins-of-lust.html

Sins of Lust
ISBN 9781419941573
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Sins of Lust Copyright © 2012 Viki Lyn

Through the open archway, he caught a glimpse of the Vox Dei talking with another archangel, his back to Izar. They were backlit in a violet glow from the oracle stone. The crystal’s sheer size and faceted beauty had left him speechless the first time he’d seen it.
Izar tugged on the hem of his jacket. Before entering the cella, he took out a handkerchief and wiped his face. After folding the cloth into a small square, he slipped it back into his pocket. After one last tug on his jacket, he strode in and then abruptly stopped.

His eyes widened and he stepped back as the blond angel turned to him. Oh God almighty…his cock leaped, setting off a shockwave spreading throughout his lower half.
Golden waves of hair and milky skin, a white robe draped seductively around a tall, slender body, eyes bluer than any sky Izar had ever witnessed. The sight of the archangel caused a loss of equilibrium.

The archangel’s brows lifted slightly at Izar’s feeble attempt of appearing in control. Oddly, the angel seemed familiar, but they had never spoken or been in the same room together. Izar would have remembered that face. He’d seen the prince of the Cherubim from a distance, but never this close, this personal, this…distracting.

The quicksilver lust on seeing this vision shocked him. He wasn’t attracted to forbidden fruit. He didn’t need the trouble. He was a practical man, especially when it came to where he put his dick. Protectors were forbidden to lay with angels, except for the ga-aelijan of the Haelan Templum.

Turning away from the ethereal vision, he drew in a breath. He should have attended the Haelan for relief before coming here. His physical reaction to this archangel confirmed the danger of waiting too long to eradicate his bloodlust. He’d already pushed his limits, and if he didn’t get to the temple, he’d fall ill, or worse, lose the reins over his actions.

http://www.vikilyn.com
http://www.vikilyn.com/blog
http://www.facebook.com/VikiLynRomance
http://www.twitter.com/VikiLynRomance
Once Viki Lyn wrote her first male/male romance, she was hooked. Now she gets to write about two sexy men as heroes instead of one.
What inspires - the reality that romance between lovers is a hope more than a guarantee. Her stories are sexy, but it’s always romance that drives the story to its final happily-ever-after.
Viki has worn many hats, working in corporate finance to owning her own art gallery, but writing has been a long lasting passion.
 
Viki Lyn: Award winning author of male/male paranormal and contemporary romances. You can find all of Viki's books at the following sites: Amazon, All Romance Ebooks and GLBT Bookshelf.
Pride will be the death of him.
When psychic Nate Coleman dreams of a murder, he knows it’s a premonition. He can’t forget the image of his ex-lover with a bullet hole through his chest. Nate has no choice but to confront William and face the skeptical scientist’s ridicule.
Dr. William Ryner doesn’t believe in what he can’t prove. When Nate comes back into his life, it’s not to rekindle their love, but to bring up more of that mumbo jumbo that split them apart.
Despite William’s refusal to listen, Nate can’t ignore the premonition. And, William can’t ignore Nate. Before the gunman strikes, William must either trust in Nate’s ability or rely only on the facts, but if he does the latter, pride could be the death of him.





4 comments:

  1. Love the title and story concept! Have fun in Japan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina. This story was fun to write. And thank you Amber for letting me share with your readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've added your books to my TBB list. Have fun in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Amber. I am looking forward to the trip. V.

    ReplyDelete