Monday, March 4, 2013

Beta Readers


  
I’ve been giving this a ton of thought lately. I need a few. I can’t join a critique group, because I just don’t have the time. What I do need is honest feedback from readers, because in the end readers are the people buying our books.
How does one go about finding a beta reader? I’m not sure because I’ve never traveled down this path. What am I looking for in a beta reader? To tell me if the story has any plot holes, consistency and overall enjoyable.
I write M/F, M/F/M, M/M/F and M/M. If you’re interested in reading any of the following and offering your opinion please contact me at amberskyze AT aol DOT com with Beta Reader in the subject line.

5 comments:

  1. Good idea. I've been throwing this one around lately too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I send review requests out to a lot to different book review bloggers, I have befriended a few and gotten a little comfortable communicating with them. One time, one asked me what I was working on. After I told her, I asked if she wanted to read a little of it and tell me if I was on the right track. She said YES! Another time, I told a reviewer that I wished she'd read my book BEFORE I'd published it and she offered to read a rough draft for me in the future.

    That's one way I've fallen into getting a beta reader or two. But they all seem like accidental incidents to me. I guess if you're on a first name basis with one of your reading fans that has contacted you in the past, you could probably ask her! I don't really know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought is you'd need to be very careful in your selection process due to not having a copyright on the work yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber - listen to Tessie. Don't do it. You really must trust a beta reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the advice Linda, Tessie and Julia. You've definitely given me food for thought.

    ReplyDelete