Thursday, March 14, 2013

Interview with Lucy Felthouse


How did you start your writing career?
I’ve always written, ever since I was little. But it was when I did a degree in Creative Writing that someone suggested I should have a go at writing an erotic story. I refused at first, but then I was dared, so I couldn’t say no, then. I wrote a story as requested and showed it to the people who were involved in the original conversation. It went down incredibly well, and I continued writing erotica, and looked into publishers and magazines. My first publication was in Scarlet Magazine, then soon afterwards, Xcite Books also picked up a short story, and the rest is history!

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?
Oh wow, this answer could go on forever. I love visiting and exploring new places. If money was no object, I’d hire a huge motorhome and tour America. Why? Because it’s such a huge, amazing place, and look at all the people that I “know” online that I could pop in to meet on the way!
I also want to travel all over Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Canada… as I said, the list could go on forever!

Does travel play in the writing of your books?
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. In very short stories, there’s often no room to describe location, but in some of my longer pieces, I’ve written about London, Paris, Rome, the Peak District, etc. I actually have a series with Ellora’s Cave, where the first book, out now, is set in London. It’s called A Taste of London and is the story of two friends on their gap year before starting University. The next book, which I’m awaiting edits and a release date for, is A Taste of Paris. Next, the boys will go to Rome, and then Amsterdam (I went to Rome last year, and I’m going to Amsterdam in a couple of months). So although I don’t often visit places with the express intention of writing about them, many of them inspire me and pop up in books later on.

Tell us about your current release.
The Perfect Dom is a collection of four BDSM-themed erotic stories. They’ve all been previously published in various anthologies from Cleis Press (including Best Women’s Erotica 2013 and Best Bondage Erotica 2013) but I retain the rights, so wanted to put them all together for BDSM fans. One of the stories is actually set in Rome! J

Tell us about your next release.
Not including anthologies (I have several coming out in the next few weeks), my next single-author release will probably be A Taste of Paris, which I mentioned earlier. I haven’t received edits yet, but I’m hoping to get them pretty soon and have the book out in a couple of months. Here’s the blurb:
Book two of the A Taste Of… series
Ryan Stonebridge and his friend Kristian Hurst are traveling on their year off before going to University.
Unfortunately, Kristian has been called back home due to a family emergency. Ryan continues on to Paris alone, hoping his friend will join him again soon.
In the meantime, Ryan’s lucky streak with women continues, and by the time Kristian makes it to Paris, Ryan’s bumper box of condoms is depleting rapidly. However, there are more than enough women to go around, and Kristian intends to have some sexy fun of his own.

Where do you research for your books?
I’ve researched quite a few places specifically, and also visited places just for fun, then written about them afterwards. I specifically visited lots of country houses and gardens when I was researching for my as-yet-unpublished novel, Stately Pleasures. I also visited The Louvre, the Erotic Museum, the Pigalle area, and some cemeteries in Paris for various tales set in that fair city.
I’ve also written about places such as Buckingham Palace, Brighton, my nearest airport, Portugal and so on after visiting—sometimes many years later—but when an idea pops into my head, I just go for it!

Does your significant other read your stuff?
Sometimes he does. He’s not really into the genre, but he read my novel as I was writing it to help me out and advise, and if there’s anything I ask him to look at or discuss while I’m writing it, he’s happy to help out.

Plotter or Pantser? Why?
I’m a bit of both. With my short stories, I tend to just have a spark of an idea, and I’ll run with it. But for longer things, like novellas and novels, it helps to know where I’m going, how the book is going to end, and what action is going to be involved, so I stay on track and make sure things stay interesting.

What are your favorite TV shows?
Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Sons of Anarchy, Grimm, Beauty and the Beast, Being Human… do you see a pattern? It’s mostly supernatural stuff!

Morning Person? Or Night Person?
Somewhere in between. An afternoon person, I suppose. I hate getting up in the morning, I always have. But I also find that my days are so busy that come the nighttime I’m ready to go to bed!

What would we find under your bed?
Lots and lots of books, toiletries, a box of receipts that desperately needs sorting out, and my spare slippers.
*****


Excerpt:
“Spank me. Is that an invitation?”
Shit. Mia had completely forgotten about him. Her flatmate, Katy, had asked if it was okay if her brother could stay on their sofa for a couple of nights. His own place was being fitted with a new bathroom and conditions over there weren’t exactly tantamount to hygiene. Mia had been rushing around in order to get to work and hadn’t really been paying attention, so she’d just agreed and then promptly forgotten.
Now, however, she was being treated to a huge and incredibly embarrassing reminder. Katy was on a nightshift at the hospital so when Mia had woken up at 9p.m.—her own body clock being on that of working in the club, though tonight was her night off—she’d deemed it safe to wander to the kitchen to get a drink in what she was wearing.
Big mistake. Alex was sitting on the sofa, an eyebrow quirked and a leering grin on his face. He held his iPad, and earphones hung around his neck. He’d obviously been watching a film or playing some ridiculous game before Mia had flipped the light on and sauntered through the living room in nothing but a skimpy vest and hotpants. The hotpants were, of course, what he was referring to. The fuchsia garment had SPANK ME emblazoned across the ass in large black lettering.
Mia gave Alex a look that would have turned a lesser man to stone. He, however, simply grinned even more widely, then said, “Well? Do you need a firm hand to that luscious butt of yours? Like a spanking, do you?”
Mia sighed. “Shut up, Alex. It’s none of your business. I’m just getting a drink. Get back to your damn gadget and leave me alone.”
“Oooh, someone’s defensive. I’m just saying, you must have them for a reason. A statement like that printed on your backside would definitely be construed as an invitation in my book.”
“Well, maybe it is an invitation, Alex. But it’s certainly not directed at you. Now if you’d kindly stop passing judgement on my non-existent sex life I’ll get my drink and get out of your way.”
*****
Four kinky and erotic BDSM tales from the smutty pen of Lucy Felthouse.
Balancing the Books
Philip’s a well off man, and doesn’t need a job. But when he sees the gorgeous owner of his local bookshop, he applies for the role that’s being advertised there immediately. He’s totally stricken by the stunning Giovanna, and when it turns out she wants to boss him around in a sexual sense as well as an employment sense, he has no intention of refusing.
Feeling the Heat
Taylor and Maisie’s car has broken down. Luckily, Taylor’s handy with engines and is working hard to get them back on the road. Unfortunately, Maisie is getting annoyed at the amount of time he’s spending in the garage and confronts him. Instead of arguing back, though, Taylor comes up with an ingenious plan to keep Maisie quiet.
The Perfect Dom
Part of Mia’s nightwear is a pair of hotpants with SPANK ME emblazoned across the arse. Normally, that wouldn’t be a problem, but when she forgets that she has a houseguest and heads to the kitchen for a drink, she’s shocked to find Alex in her living room. Immediately spotting what he sees as an invitation written across Mia’s bottom, Alex makes an offer and Mia soon discovers that he is, in fact, the perfect dom.
Meet Me at the Spanish Steps
Darby is working at a holiday camp on the outskirts of Rome and is getting along just fine, with the exception of her sex life. For various reasons, she’s not getting what she wants in the bedroom, and her tastes are very particular. She turns to the Internet to get what she needs, and when she discovers William, it seems that he’s more than willing—and capable—of scratching that particular itch.
*****

Lucy Felthouse is a very busy woman! She writes erotica and erotic romance in a variety of subgenres and pairings, and has over seventy publications to her name, with many more in the pipeline. These include Best Bondage Erotica 2012 and 2013, and Best Women's Erotica 2013. Another string to her bow is editing, and she has edited and co-edited a number of anthologies. She owns Erotica For All, and is book editor for Cliterati. Find out more at http://www.lucyfelthouse.co.uk. Join her on Facebook and Twitter, and subscribe to her newsletter at: http://eepurl.com/gMQb9

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Lucy and the excerpt is hot. Good luck and I will be downloading the book.

    ReplyDelete