Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Welcome Tanith Davenport


How did you start your writing career?
I was taking a creative writing course and discovered that my tutor was a member of the Romantic Novelists' Association, so I joined their New Writers' Scheme and had my debut novel "The Hand He Dealt" critiqued. After making changes based on their feedback I submitted it to Total-e-Bound and it was released in June of last year.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?
I have always wanted to do a driving tour of the United States. I visited New York last year and was overwhelmed. Having said that, the one specific place I'd like to visit is probably Alaska. I'd love to go on a cruise past the icebergs.

Tell us about your current release.
My short story "I Like It Wet" has just been released as part of the "Smut by the Sea" anthology with House of Erotica. My heroine Talia is a fashion designer who, after a long month of work, travels to Scarborough for the weekend and runs into her office crush on the seafront while indulging her favourite kink - being drenched in water.

Tell us about your next release.
My paranormal novella "I Heard Your Voice" is due out on 22 October as part of Total-e-Bound's "Haunted by You" anthology. Tamar Steele is a paranormal investigator trapped in a loveless relationship with her team's medium, Reed James, who believes having sex on haunted ground increases paranormal activity. One night, during a vigil, she sings to herself and accidentally raises a spirit, who turns out to be determined to matchmake between her and Jason, her cute fellow investigator.

Does your significant other read your stuff?
To a degree. He is about halfway through my debut novel, but has read the sexier bits of my short stories - I like to have a second pair of eyes occasionally. It's not his type of thing but he likes to know what's in them in case one of his friends has read them - he likes to be prepared for any awkward questions!

What are your favorite TV shows?
Much to my husband's chagrin, I am addicted to game shows. I love watching repeats of Family Fortunes and Bullseye on Challenge. We went to see Pointless being filmed recently, so I've been recording the episodes so we can spot ourselves in the audience.

What is your favorite meal?
Right now, fajitas. I'm very into Mexican food at the moment, especially when it's washed down with a Mojito or two.

What hobbies do you actively pursue?
Besides reading and writing, I love watching films, listening to rock music, singing - I'm classically trained - and, right now, studying the paranormal. I got into it while researching for my paranormal novella "I Heard Your Voice" and have been fascinated by it ever since.

Morning Person? Or Night Person?
Morning, definitely. I like to get started on my writing early, even though I have to get dressed first - I can't write in a dressing gown.

Tell us about your favorite fan letter you have received.
I've only ever received one, but what made it special was that she wrote "Oh my God, I can't believe I'm writing to Tanith Davenport!" It's quite strange to inspire that kind of emotion in a reader, but also very gratifying.


Buy Here


Blurb:
Talia Lanter has had a long, hard month. She's single, overworked, and her boss has turned down her pet project. It's time for a weekend away - somewhere she can walk on the beach, eat chips, and indulge her favourite fetish: water.
Jay Metcalfe has had a crush on Talia ever since he met her. But the last thing he expected was to encounter her on the Scarborough seafront, letting herself be drenched by wave after wave, wet clothes plastered to her body, water sparkling on her skin, and flushed with pleasure...



Excerpt:
The hotel was at the top of the cliff, overlooking Scarborough’s North Bay. A long stretch of white beach ran as far as the eye could see, edged along the roadside with cockle stands and seaside rock stalls. From her vantage point at the top of a flight of stone steps leading to the seafront, Talia could see that the tide was almost in, waves already beginning to crash against the bay wall.
She trotted down the steps, white wedge sandals slapping on the concrete, and made her way along the main street towards the cliffs at the far right of the bay. The seafront was packed, a morass of people and dogs set to a soundtrack of jangling arcade music, and the scent of fried doughnuts and candyfloss drifted from windows as she passed them.
Maybe later she’d treat herself. But right now her focus was on the sea.
The busy street gave way to a flat stone walkway, rising above her in rock and greenery on one side. Sunlight danced on the sea, an almost blinding shimmer. Talia rested her hands on the wall and looked down at the waves as they surged below.
If she could live anywhere, it would be within sight of the sea. Soothing and raging by turns, she needed it to live, needed it to breathe. God, it had been a rough month. She needed the break. And watching the ebb and surge, it was as though her worries were being massaged away.
A larger wave was swelling, rushing forward, and Talia threw her head back in anticipation.
Hit me!
A crash, a roar, and suddenly she was engulfed in sparkling spray, followed by the sudden splash of cool water drenching her face, her hair and her shirt, plastering the fabric to her body. Shaking her head, Talia flicked her hair from her face and opened her eyes just in time to see another wave approaching.
This one was bigger, faster, and the slap as it hit the wall threw it higher before falling in a deluge, soaking her from head to toe. Pressing her hands on the top of the wall, Talia arched her back and let the water flow over her, feeling the familiar sensation of cold mingling with the heat of the sun on her body.
All the tension in her muscles seemed to wash away with the water.



1 comment: