Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Welcome Ivy Bateman






http://www.breathlesspress.com/between-lines

Release, Jan.27th

Book Blurb:

Lara Munroe is perfectly fine with the characters in her books having better sex lives than she does, until the night she meets Devin Monaghan.

When erotica writer Lara Munroe heads down to the ballroom to take part in an extravagant book launch, she has no idea her path will finally cross with political writer Devin Monaghan. He's smart, sexy, and roguishly handsome, and the chemistry between them is instantaneous. Lara feels her natural guard slip whenever she lays eyes on him. The thought of a night with Devin becomes more than a little distracting.

Devin, who could have any woman in the crowd to share his hotel bed, quickly sets his sights on Lara. He finds her alluring, beautiful, and intoxicating, and his attraction to the erotica writer had started long before their first encounter in the hotel elevator.

Lara and Devin have their careers to think about, a busy evening ahead, and very little chance for verbal communication. However, that doesn't stop them from coming together. They are both authors, and words are their greatest medium, but even they know that when it comes to figuring out how to get exactly who you want, it could be as simple as reading between the lines.

Blog address:

http://ivybmisbehavin.blogspot.com/

I can also be found on Facebook and Twitter (IvyBateman)


Who is your favorite author?

I have a few, but the two authors who I find influence my writing most often are Neil Gaiman and Sharon Shinn. I love how Neil Gaiman can take a perfectly normal situation and turn it into something completely off the wall and unexpected. With Sharron Shinn, she takes characters we can easily relate to and places them on completely different worlds. You never doubt for second while you're reading her books that these places exist. It's almost magical.

When was your first sale?

Well, this book, Between the Lines, is my first published work for purchase. When my book went for up on the Breathless Press site for pre-order, I sent an email out to a bunch of my friends and right away, a friend of mine pre-ordered it. That was on Dec.21/11.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

On any given day, I will write whenever I find the time, however, I write best on the weekend mornings. I get up early, make a pot of coffee and get to work. I will write almost solidly for 2 or 3 hours or until my hands and shoulders tell me to stop.

What is the hardest part of writing your books?

The hardest part is starting. If I'm working on a new project, it could be hours before I'll sit myself down in front of the computer. Everything becomes more important: laundry, dishes, sorting the junk drawer...I'll do almost anything to procrastinate before I find the courage to put the demon of doubt aside and simply start writing.

What does your family think of your writing career?

They are extremely supportive and proud of me. I do a lot of writing that is "G rated" and my parents read all of it, but my more saucy writing, they know about it, but it's off limits. I told them once you read it, you can't unread it and I'd really feel more comfortable with them not reading it.

Does your significant other read your stuff?

My husband is wonderful and reads everything I write. He's my biggest supporter, fan and critic. Grammar is not my strong suit and he's more than willing to help correct all of insane writing errors, but also offers me encouragement when I feel stuck or low.

Who are your books published with?

My first release is published with Breathless Press.


What book are you reading now?

I am reading Game of Thrones and Women Who Run with the Wolves; both excellent books for completely different reasons.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was really young, I wanted to be nurse, like my Mum. But when I was nine, I was bitten by the acting bug. I was going to become a world famous actress no matter what. That didn't exactly work out, but that's ok. I met my husband in college while taking Dramatic Arts and I still have a passion for acting. I'm active in community theatre and am proud to say that I'm currently directing and acting in a play I wrote. It goes up next month as part of a Hospice Fundraiser and I'm very proud to be a part of it and help out a very worthy cause.

Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?

I do actually. Ivy Bateman is my naughty alter ego. The way I came up with it is a bit nerdy...my husband is a huge Batman fan, actually we both are, and because he's such a huge supporter of my work I wanted to include him somehow. The name Ivy, I just like the name and Bateman is only one letter away from Batman. After I decided on the name, my husband said "Hey Christian Bale (whom I adore) isn't his character's last name in American Psycho Bateman?" And I said "Yes! And he's also Batman!" So, really it's a perfect pen name for a couple reasons.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Ivy. Nice to meet you!!! Your blurb sounds good. I think it's wonderful that your husband reads all your work. Wonder what my hubby would do if he read just one of my stories. Hmm. What an interesting way to come up with a pen name. I mixed my middle and last name to make mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's try that again..typos are the way to fond of me! Thanks for your comments, Linda and Julia! And thanks too to Amber for having me as a guest on your blog!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Ivy. Anytime you want to come back just let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete