Friday, January 27, 2012

Welcome Raven McAllan



How did you start your writing career?
At school, winning two where does chocolate come from writing competitions. As an adult, meeting Robyn Donald a New Zealand writer who told me to go for it or I'd regret it. Entering a terrible piece in a romance writing competition in 2010, but meeting my crit group through that. They dared me to write my first book.


Tell us about your favorite character from your books.
Raig in The Price To Pay. He has to really fight to get Vairi. She pushes against him all the way.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?
Ankor Wat, the thought of it fascinates me. South Island New Zealand, we didn't make it that far. And back to The Great Wall, Halong Bay, Singapore … too many to mention. I've been so lucky where I have visited so far.

Does travel play in the writing of your books?
It should do a lot more, considering where I've visited. Well I did get an idea for two interrelated books whilst I was on holiday in St.Kitts recently. The plantation house we stopped in Ottleys gave me food for thought.
Tell us about your current release.
To Please a Lady, is a historical m/m/f menage. Great fun, and Hermione lead her lovers them a merry dance. Here's the blurb:

When your lovers are lovers themselves, and want you to help them make the perfect triangle, what do you say? Persuade me of course!

Unconventional, and happy, Hermione is in the enviable position of having not one, but two lovers to attend to her every need. That her lovers are lovers themselves, only adds to the equation. Berry and Ran feel it’s time to make all their various twosomes, into one splendid threesome. Now all they have to do is persuade Hermione!

Being men, they are too impatient to wait for her answer. Being a woman, she isn’t going to be pushed, shoved or coerced into saying anything until she is good and ready. Patience is a virtue, and one her men needed to get.

Also Taken Identity, (noble romance) where Jules finds someone has stolen her life. And she wants it back!



Tell us about your next release.

The Price to Pay, it's out Feb 24th here's the blurb… Do a friend a favor? Easy. Persuade the woman she's your soul-mate - not so easy. Does this cougar romance stand a chance?

Raig was doing a favor for a friend - babysitting mum. Who'd have thought that 'mum' turned out to be the woman of his dreams?

Raig could see their future, Vairi could only see the age difference. He may say you were only as old as the man you feel but she couldn't do the forever he wanted. Too many obstacles stood in their way, especially when she finds out Raig has not been telling her the truth by omission. She too has secrets she's not willing to share. Can they open up, be honest and put their doubts behind them? Then discover how satisfying a cougar romance can be?

Has someone been instrumental in inspiring you as a writer?
See above. And a great publisher and editor keep me going.

Has someone helped or mentored you in your writing career?
No, but Doris O'Connor is my conscience, my ear to moan to and my send it here and I'll do it it synopsis sorter

Who is your favorite author?
I don't have just one. Doris O'Connor, Miss Read, WEB Griffin. Too many to mention.

When was your first sale?
October 7th 2011

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?
On and off all day. I have a dodgy shoulder that sometimes means my hands go numb, so I have to be careful. I'm best in the 'wee small hours'

What is the hardest part of writing your books?
Getting the characters to listen to me. And giving then up at the end. I want to go on and on.

Where do you research for your books?
On line, at the library, family history.

What does your family think of your writing career?
Hmm. Depends who you ask.

Does your significant other read your stuff?
He does, and if he thinks something isn't right he tells me. It's good to get a blokes perspective, also Doris's OH reads my stuff. He really got me going with The Price to Pay. MY OH was away on business, and as it is all written from the man's POV he checked it over for me..

Do you have critique partners or beta readers?
Doris O'Connor. I've no idea where she finds the time. And my crit group UCW without them I wouldn't have dared submit.

Who are your books published with?
Breathless Press; Noble Romance, and soon Evernight Publishing

Do you hear from your readers? What kinds of questions do they ask?
Yes, and It's great to know people read them. They ask sorts of things, from do I research (Oh YES) are my characters based on any one (Oh NO) to can you read my M/S for me. Sorry! It takes me all my time to read my own.

What do you think makes a good story?
Believable human characters. A good plot and and yup, HEA or HFN

Plotter or Pantser? Why?
I always thought I was plottter. I so am not. Definitely pantster. Or a led by my characters-ster! I would love to know exactly what was going to happen and when, but I don't think I'd have a good book at the end of it.

Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it? I do Raven Is the bird that brings change. Before I had my first acceptance there was a Raven in the garden. And every time I hear anything about a M/S I see one or two waiting for me to look at them before they fly away. McAllan is the finest single malt Scotch whisky I think you can get.


Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? Thanks for supporting me. I hope we grow older together.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Raven, nice to meet you. The Cover of To Please a Lady is so hawt! Sounds like you had great support to help you start your writing career. Critique partners are the best. Congrats on all your success!

    ReplyDelete