Thursday, January 26, 2012

Welcome Jamieson Wolf



How did you start your writing career?


I started writing professionally when I was eighteen. I always knew I wanted to be a writer, but it took many years for me to realize that it was what I wanted to do most with my life. After a few false starts, I got published. It was like realizing a dream.

Tell us about your current release.

My current release is Reaping Shadows from Breathless Press. Here’s a bit about the book:

Death has always been a lonely business.

Darion Muerte knows this first hand. Darion is a Reaper, one of those who gather the souls of the dead so that they can move on. He has been a Reaper for centuries. Accompanied only by his Shadow, a being that scouts for the dead, Darion has not been touched by another for over a thousand years.

That all changes when Darion meets Kale. Though mortals are not supposed to be able to see Reapers and their Shadows, Kale can see both of them. And his dark blue eyes see right into Darion.

Answering the call of passion that sets fire to his skin, Darion gives in to his needs and lets himself experience one night of passion. That is all he can take. And then Darion must make the ultimate sacrifice.

Darion must take Kale’s soul.

You can get your copy here:

http://www.breathlesspress.com/reaping-shadows


Has someone been instrumental in inspiring you as a writer?

In terms of inspiration, I would have to say Carol Shields.

I had the opportunity to meet her when I was just starting to write seriously. She had come to speak at a local university about the power of narrative. I remember how nervous I was talking to her, but she was warm, wonderful and lovely. I asked if it was harder to find the narrative in prose or poetry. She told me to write both and find out. And the rest, they say, is history…

Who is your favorite author?

Stephen King, hands down.


When was your first sale?

I sold a story titled Realties Real to Dark Krypt Magazine. I still have the contract they sent me. It was a wonderful moment. That was back when I was 19.

When in the day/night do you write? How long per day?

Since I go to work during the day and do most of my schoolwork in the afternoons, I tend to write in the evenings. How long I write depends on how far I am into a novel. If I’m just starting out, I take my time with it and may spend an hour or two each evening. If I’m towards the end, and have figured out what I’m doing, I’ll write into the wee hours of the morning.


What is the hardest part of writing your books?

Trying to figure out how to end them! I never have been very good with endings.


Does your significant other read your stuff?

Yes, he does. I am lucky to have an amazingly wonderful boyfriend who not only reads what I write, but loves what I write. After a long time of no one in my family or anyone close to me reading my work, it’s a gift that he not only reads my books but that we can discuss them.


What do you think makes a good story?

The characters. If you do not have a character you can care about in a novel, there is no emotional pull and the book suffers for it. You need to have characters that are real to make write a good novel.


Do you use a pen name? If so, how did you come up with it?

I do in fact use a kind of pen name. I just drop off my last name. Jamieson is my real first name and Wolf my middle name.


Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?

I always listen to music while writing. What kind of music depends on the book itself. Usually something poppy and something with a beat. I love Robyn’s Body Talk, anything by Bjork, some Tori Amos if the mood strikes. Or David Guetta, I freaking love his stuff. I would never say no to some Chromeo either.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! Another Breathless Press book - seems like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your name Jamieson! Thanks for being here.

    ReplyDelete