Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Guest Interview - Silvia Violet



Please give a warm welcome to special guest Silvia Violet!

Plotter or Pantser? Why?

I’m a little of each. I always know how the story will start and end, and I think through the basic framework of the story, usually just making a list of scenes with notes and sometimes dialogue snippets that have been running through my head. But once I start writing, the story often begins to form itself and many of my plans for how to get from start to finish get abandoned. I’m very much a planner and an organizer in other aspects of my life, and I want to be a detailed plotter. But I’ve learned to accept that my muse thinks otherwise

What is the hardest part of writing your books?

Pushing myself to keep going through the first draft when I’m not sure where the story is going. My stories always start with the characters popping into my head and demanding that I write their story, but once I get started writing things will often take an unexpected turn and I’m left questioning whether the story will work out. I write my first draft by typing as fast as I can with no editing even for typos. I write the story from start to finish leaving highlighted notes for myself to help me fix up the next draft, but when I start to wonder where things are going, trusting the story to work itself out does not come easily for me.

Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

Set a very realistic goal for how much time you are going to devote to writing and then schedule that amount of time every day. When I decided to get serious about writing, I committed to write fifteen minutes a day every day. I knew that I could always find fifteen minutes even if I just stayed up a little later or got up earlier. I quickly found myself spending much more time writing and feeling good than I was accomplishing my goal.

What book are you reading now?

I’ve been reading a lot of m/m lately. My favorite recent reads are Josh Lanyon’s Adrien English series and Ethan Day’s Sno Ho. Next in my queue is a steampunk book, Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding. It comes recommended from a friend and seems to have a very Firefly-ish feel.

Where do you dream of traveling to and why?

One of my goals is to do more traveling in the next few years. My top dream destinations right now are France, Italy, Costa Rica, and the Serengeti. I’m working on saving money for a trip to Paris for my 40th birthday.

Morning Person? Or Night Person?

I’m a morning person. I like getting up earlier than everyone else (not an easy task with my early-rising children) so I can have some quiet time to myself. I write better in the morning than any other time of day.

What do you do to unwind and relax?

Creating in the kitchen is relaxing for me. I like all types of cooking, but baking is my passion. I love coming up with new types of cookies, cakes, muffins, and scones. I also read as much as I can and I go hiking with my family as often as I can.

What is your favorite meal?

fillet mignon, fingerling potatoes, and roasted asparagus with devil’s food cake for dessert

Tell us about your favorite restaurant.

My favorite restaurant is an amazing local gastro-pub called The Admiral. The menu changes daily and the combination of ingredients the chef devises are unexpectedly orgasmic. A meal there is as intense as any sexual experience.

Tell us about your current release.

My most recent release is Shifter’s Galaxy: Accommodating Desire In this m/m/f short story, I revisit the world of my BDSM sci fi series, Shifter’s Station.

Blurb:

Lucy Vasilia is the director of the Alkestis Market, a well-run trading center catering to both legitimate and black market concerns. She's not a woman who normally mixes business with pleasure, but shipping tycoon, Ian Hadley's dominating presence and cool control make her knees weak. When he matter-of-factly proposes a three way with his lover, Security Chief, Connor Langley, she decides to make an exception and give herself over to pleasure for an afternoon. But Ian and his dark, dominating lover want far more from her than a few hour’s dalliance. They intend to make her acknowledge their soul-deep connection, and they won’t be satisfied until they’ve claimed her in every possible way.

Excerpt:

Ian Hadley opened the door to the reception area for the Alkestis offices. A Vindolesian with the characteristic grass green hair and onyx eyes burst out of Ms Vasilia’s office. “Stupid bitch,” he yelled as he threw a nano tablet at the receptionist, narrowly missing her head.
“If that slut thinks she can keep us out of her fucking market, she’s even stupider than I thought.”
Ian stepped into his path. “You would be wise to retract that last statement.”
The Vindo shoved at Ian’s chest. “Fuck off, asshole.”
In one swift motion Ian drew his plasma gun and shoved the man up against the wall, weapon pressed under his chin. “If I or one of my employees hear you refer to Ms. Vasilia like that again, those will be the last words you ever speak.”
“Jeez, lighten up man. You fucking her or something?” Ian shoved the weapon harder against the man’s chin. The Vindo made a choked gasp. “Fine. Fine. I’ll lay off your girlfriend.”
“I respect the women I do business with, and I will defend their honor even if that means some asshole has to die. Don’t let me see you on this station again.”
Ian stepped back and the Vindo scrambled to the door and disappeared down the corridor.
***
Lucy Vasilia electronically signed a document and folded her nano tablet before looking up at Ian Hadley. She made a final, slow perusal of his well-toned physique, suppressing a sigh that their meeting had come to an end. “That should conclude our business. I’ve sent a copy of the contract to your ship’s computer.”
He smiled, a slow, sensuous curve of his lips. “Excellent.” He made no move to leave her office.
“Did you have further questions?” Lucy managed to keep her tone professional though he made her want to purr.
“I do have one question.” He paused, his bright blue eyes hot and unrelenting. “Would you like company?”
Lucy titled her head and stared at him. “For what?”
His smile deepened. “When I fuck you.”
Lucy sucked in her breath. “Presumptuous, aren’t you?”
“I’ve seen your eyes drifting down to my cock. You want this as much as I do.”
She stared pointedly at his crotch. His erection threatened to burst one of the seams of his expensive suit. “You certainly are making a rather impressive display.”
He smirked. “Indeed.”
“I assume you’d like your Head of Security to join us?”
“Ah, so you did do your homework.”
“I never meet with anyone I haven’t researched thoroughly. You hired Langley at Captain Devlin’s suggestion.” It was a statement, not a question.
Ian nodded. “Devlin said to tell you hello by the way.”
“Did he indeed? I take it Chief Langley isn’t fully human.”
Ian shook his head. “He’s not, but I have the impression you won’t be disturbed by his particular needs.”
She grinned. “I’m not as fragile as I look.”
“I never thought you were. So what will it be? How much hard use are you game for today?”
She nearly choked. “I can take whatever you and your lover want to give.”
“You may live to regret that statement. When?”
She held up a finger signaling him to wait and pressed a button on her desk unit, paging her receptionist. “Cynthia.”
“Yes, Director?”
“Cancel my next two appointments.”
Ian raised his brows, studying her curiously.
A sharp voiced erupted from the comm. Unit. “With all due respect, Director, the delegation from-“
“My business with Mr. Hadley is taking longer than expected. I will simply have to reschedule.”
“Yes, Director.” Cynthia sounded resigned.
Lucy looked at Ian, fighting the urge to tremble. The sexual heat in his eyes was devastating. She’d never slept with a business associate, and she’d certainly never cancelled an appointment so she could get a quick fuck in her office.
Then again, she couldn’t recall a man who’d ever turned her on as hard and fast as Ian did. She’d glimpsed him with his lover as she’d headed to dinner the night before. Connor Langley was a glorious mix of beauty and pure animal power. He moved with a panther’s grace, but she had no doubt he could kill most men one-handed. She’d been working her ass off. She deserved a treat. “Call Langley now.”
He pressed a button on his wrist unit. “Langley, you’re needed in the Director’s office.”
“Is there a problem, sir?”
“No, we are simply in need of a . . . consultation.”
“I will be right there, sir, ” Langley responded.

3 comments:

  1. Hot excerpt, I can't wait to read more of it. The interview was great Silvia. We would totally mesh during dinner. Makes my mouth water just thinking of those foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silvia it was great to have you. Thanks for allowing me to interview you.

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for having me Amber!!

    I'm glad you enjoyed the interview Marie! I just love thinking of perfect food combos :)

    ReplyDelete